Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rag Quilts

I have a love/hate relationship with sewing. My mother taught me how to sew all growing up. I HATED doing it. My mom is a perfectionist, especially when she sews. I am a perfectionist at many things. However, sewing has been more of a functional skill, not one I take great pride in. Now that I am a stay-at-home mom, I try to find things that keep me occupied and make me feel productive. Cleaning and taking care of my daughter are satisfying, but sometimes I need a creative outlet. Maybe it is due to this that I have started to appreciate sewing more.

This is actually a quilt that I made for a friend over 2 years ago (so pre-mommyhood).


I would recommend rag quilts to anyone who wants to sew but doesn't want to have to spend too much time paying attention to detail. They are super easy.

Even easier than doing blocks? Stripes! This is one that I finished a few weeks ago for the same friend who is having another little girl.

I like the way both of these quilts turned out. I really like the fabrics in both. I am a fan of girly things that aren't necessarily pinks, purples, pastels, etc. Maybe if I'm ambitious I'll post patterns for both.

2 comments:

  1. I love the quilts they are super cute! How do you do rag quits, i have never done one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I can't wait to see this in person! You are an amazingly crafty friend...now, you just need to teach me, so that I can make something cool too. The picture is making me excited!

    ReplyDelete