Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A toothpaste story and couponing

Couponing has become quite popular of late. I'll admit that I've joined the coupon craze. At least somewhat. I'm not nearly as fanatical as many people. That's where the toothpaste story comes in.

(This story took place many years ago when I first started college, long before I started couponing.)

As a poor-ish college student I always dreaded going to the store to get essential hygiene items. They add up so quickly and seem ridiculously expensive. So, one day as I was in the toothpaste isle, I stood there debating whether to get the toothpaste I liked or the toothpaste that was cheap. I decided on the cheap toothpaste.

When the time came to use the toothpaste, I was disappointed. It didn't foam. It didn't have a great flavor. My mouth didn't feel all that clean. After a few days of using the toothpaste I decided that I couldn't stand it and went back to the store to buy the toothpaste I liked.

In the end, I ended up spending MORE (wasted tube of toothpaste + good toothpaste).

This has happened with more than just toothpaste: shampoo, conditioner, razors, cereal, soup, and the list goes on. The toothpaste is one item that I could not make myself finish the inferior product before purchasing a new one.

This perspective gives me a somewhat different attitude toward couponing than many of the people I run into at the store. I love getting good deals. However, just because something is cheap does not make it a good deal. Also, a good deal for one person is not the same as a good deal for another. I try to limit my good deals to products I really want or need. I figure, just like my toothpaste, it's not a good deal to get something for really cheap if I'm going to end up going back to the store and buying something to replace it. It's also not a great deal to get something for cheap if I wouldn't have bought anything at all otherwise.

One of my best good deal shopping trips:



The total was ~$48. Some of the great items included were 2 space heaters, 2 big cans of toddler formula (heaters and formula accounted for ~$35), games, and food. Yay for getting good deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment