Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Coconut Cream Pie

I have been craving coconut cream pie since the day before Mother's Day. They had samples at Costco. It was so good. I sat and debated whether or not I should get one. I decided against it since my mom was coming over for dinner and is allergic to milk. I decided it would be mean to have such a yummy dessert that she wouldn't be able to eat.

Since Mother's Day, I have been to Costco many times. Every time I go look at the coconut cream pie. Every time I decide that I don't need it. Plus, it's HUGE and I really don't need that much of it. So, I decided to make my own.


It was delicious. Looking at the pictures makes me want to make another one to eat. I found some recipes online and modified them for the ingredients I had and what sounded good.

Crust (I kind of made up my own recipe that sounded yummy)

Vanilla Wafers
Almonds
Shredded Coconut
Butter

I added everything to my food processor until crumby (I didn't really measure, I just added things in the ratios I thought they'd be good). I pressed into the 9" pie pan and baked on 350 for about 8 minutes.

Filling

1 1/2 c. coconut milk
~3/4 c. whole milk
~3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
~3/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. corn starch
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. flaked coconut

Make a custard by mixing coconut milk, milk, cream, sugar, salt, corn starch, and eggs. Heat and medium heat whisking constantly for ~20 minutes until thickened (you want it very thick). Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and coconut.

Pour into crust and let set in fridge for at least a couple of hours (I made 2 pies and the one that set overnight was better).

Topping:
~1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tblsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c toasted coconut

Toast coconut in 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes on cookie sheet (stirring as needed).
Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.

Put cream on top of pie filling. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve. Yum.
3/4 c. flaked coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment