I'm not really a huge fan of cookies. I love sweets, but cookies don't do it for me. However, my husband loves cookies so, on occasion, I make them. Generally, I'm disappointed with them. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to make cookies to take as a treat while playing games with some friends. They were the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. The recipe? From Martha of course!
Crisp & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 3/4 c. flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
2 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/4 c. brown sugar (dark is better)
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (real vanilla is better)
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sift together dry ingredients.
Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy (~4-5 minutes). Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips.
Put large scoops (~2 inches in diameter) on parchment paper on pans.
Bake at 350 for ~15 minutes or until edges of cookies are just golden brown (the middle will still be soft). Remove from oven and let sit on pan for ~5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Makes 20-30 cookies
If chocolate chip cookies are not your thing, try sugar cookies. My favorite cookie is my mom's sugar cookies with a yummy cream cheese frosting. One of the reasons I really like these cookies is that they are not very sweet.
Sugar Cookies
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp (large rounded) baking powder
4 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 c. sour cream or 2/3 c. evaporated milk w/ 1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 c. softened shortening
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. sugar
Beat eggs, add sour cream. Add softened shortening and vanilla. Beat in sugar.
Sift together dry ingredients. Combine dry and wet. Dough will be sticky (it will get less sticky when combined with the flour used when rolling it out).
You can roll out dough at this point, but I think it's best refrigerated for a little while. Flour surface and rolling pin. Roll out pieces of dough until ~1/4" thick. Cut out shapes and bake at 350 for ~12 minutes. The cookies will still be light colored.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They really were the BEST cookies EVER!!! I need to make some...soon.
ReplyDelete