Monday, September 27, 2010

What have I done for someone today?

R's mom, Marjie, passed away about a week and a half ago at the age of 65. We knew this day was coming even though it came much sooner than we would have liked. We are sad, especially R and his dad. We feel at peace with the situation and are happy that Marjie has been released from what she endured. It is hard to think of the years that are to come without her. Sad to think that L and other future kidlings will never know their Grandma Marjie (in this life at least).

So, you may be confused with the title of this post. The reason I chose it: Marjie lived a life of service. She may not have always been the best at receiving service, but she was exemplary at giving it. Even with her many physical limitations, she was always doing something for someone else. As we started to go through some of her things last week, we found dozens of projects she had started for other people. There were coming home outfits for newborns in third world countries, leper bandages, multiple quilts, sweaters, socks, shoes etc. for other people. She truly utilized her sewing and knitting skills to help others. I'll admit that I've felt overwhelmed at her willingness to give and serve. I am not the seamstress she was, nor will I ever be. Kind of wishing that R had siblings since the task of being Marjie's living legacy is a large one.

I'm reminded of this talk by Pres. Monson on which my title is based. "Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives." I know that Marjie had a purpose and fulfilled it by serving others.

I know that I am often guilty of having the intention of doing something and never getting around to it, as Pres. Monson talks about. "We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the “thick of thin things.” In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes. "

So, my goal is to be more like my dear mother-in-law. I encourage you to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your tender thoughts at this time. It is always nice to think upon someone's legacy and she has left you a great one. Don't worry too much about trying to be as great as she was, but be the best you can be.

    President Monson always touches my heart when he speaks of service, you can feel how close it is to his heart. This week I have been pondering on how to give more meaningful service as well. I haven't felt the impression to make leper bandages, but to serve more with my heart in whatever capacity I can. I am sure the void you & R feel at this time may decrease as you try to carry on the legacy of love and service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, babe she was a great one. I know that your post touched my heart and my dear daddy's heart. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sweet post, Michelle. She sounds like a great lady.

    ReplyDelete